My 4 yr old son enjoyed the adventure, choosing many of the same options as the text. We followed it up immediately with making our own adventure using the template. Highly recommend!
StoryGuider: A TTRPG to play with toddlers!
A downloadable game
StoryGuider is intended to help you make simple stories with your kid(s). It focuses only on the RP side of TTRPGs (there are no dice or rule mechanics) so kids can get used to playing as a character and changing the story without having to simultaneously worry about learning mechanics that they are not familiar with. It is a stepping stone into playing more rules-based TTRPGs.
The files below include the SRD and free sample pre-made adventure (The Magician's Big Performance).
I have also written a full 30 game set of pre-made adventures that covers topics in a pre-K social emotional curriculum. There's even holiday specials, grouped trilogies (if you don't want to get the full curriculum), and a guide based on the TTRPGS TEACH jam (see below) if you want to incorporate this into a classroom setting.
There are also articles on TTRPGkids.com with some additional tips and tricks for this specific type of story set up. These articles can help with some common issues and developing story-building skills, or please let me know in the comments if you have any questions!
I hope this helps you to introduce TTRPGs to your kid(s) and that you have fun sharing a story and starting a hobby together!
As part of the TTRPG’s TEACH game jam, check here for some more details!
AGE RANGE that this game targets
- Ages 2-5 (pre-K)
SUBJECT & SKILLS the game will help players learn
Click on each game (linked at the very end of this section) to see details of each game’s focus
- Pre-K social-emotional skills
- Make choices between two options
- Point to pictures when they are named and/or naming pictures
- Give short answers (1-4 words)
- Play simple make-believe games
- Gross and fine motor skills
NUMBER of students/players
- Individuals to a full class
- This game has been used both with individual kids at home and with full pre-K classrooms
PLAYTIME required for a full game
- 30-60 minutes (depends on how much time you want to give for coloring sheets)
RULES are designed for easy, intuitive play
- A grown up (the Story Guider) is required to read the story and prompt kids with questions to help the story grow. Mini-games and questions are appropriate for young children and don’t require reading or mechanics comprehension.
- Everything is set up to print and start - no pre-reading or prep is required other than to print and have coloring tools available for kids.
TOOLS that are needed
- You should print the coloring sheets and have coloring tools available, but other than that, the rest is optional. There are recommendations for additional activities (like extra art projects, games, when to add music, etc) in the set up section for each game, but they are truly optional.
Click download now to get access to the following files: